click here to find out what’s in this section
How to put up a Shelf
Our step-by-step guide to putting up a shelf is easy, even for a DIY novice.
Although it might seem like hassle, putting up a shelf is a fairly simple task and with our expert advice it shouldn't take anymore than half an hour!
Tools for the Job
- Screw driver
- Dust sheet
- Spirit level
- Tape measure
- Firstly it’s always best to use a pipe and wire detector to check for any electrical cables or pipes that might be nearby.
- Move your furniture to one side and put down a dust sheet – the less mess the better!
- Now mark on the wall where the bottom of the shelf will be and draw a horizontal line from this point using a spirit level.
- Mark each end of the shelf on this line and vertical lines where the brackets go. For example- 150mm-200mm in from either end of the shelf.
- Hold up a bracket against the wall with the shelf on top of it.
- Making sure you line it up with the vertical and horizontal marks on the wall you made earlier and mark the screw holes with a pencil.
- Using a drill make the holes in the wall where you left your pencil markings.
- Place the brackets on the wall and insert the screws.
- Finally, screw your shelf to the brackets.